Saturday 3 November 2012

Giving Thanks Day 3 - David


Today, I am thankful for David.


My first baby, David saved me from a life of selfishness.  I never thought I wanted babies.  Until I had David.  My life I'm supposed to live started the day his did.


David is smart, creative, fun, witty, and silly.


It is not always easy to be David's mother.  Or Henry's.  Or Jack's.  Or Katie's.

But I am so thankful that I get to be.


David has taught me how to take care of babies.  He has taught me how to be more assertive, more proactive, and more confident in my ability to tell you what my child needs, not vice versa.


He taught me about the cretaceous time period and about Tourette's Syndrome.  One I wish I never had to learn about.  He also taught me that a diagnosis doesn't, in the grand scheme of things, mean a whole lot to me.  And that I don't care if it means a whole lot to other people.


He taught me that I really don't like Star Wars, but that I love Back to the Future.  That we both love to read, especially to each other.  That he loves to snuggle and the more blankets the better.


He taught me that Christmas isn't the same when your children are experiencing it, but it is 1,000 times better.  


David has taught me that the things I never anticipated he would like are most often the things he likes the most.  And just when I think I have him figured out, he changes the entire story.


He has taught me that I can be much more "go with the flow" than I thought, and that when I would rather yell at him a hug works better.


I am most thankful to David for making me a mama, which is my favorite job ever.  He taught me that I can be a good mama, even when it's not easy.  Maybe especially when it's not easy.  He has taught me that it's often not easy to be a mama, but that life on the other side of not easy is pretty sweet.  And for that, I am particularly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment