When we first told people we were considering adopting a child with Down syndrome, many people were concerned that we realized what a commitment that could be. I think, what some didn't say, was that they were concerned about all of the things Katie wouldn't be able to do. Here are some things I bet you don't know about people with Down syndrome.
Did you know. . .
- That 1 in 5 children with Down syndrome (DS) play a musical instrument? For children older than ten, that number doubles.
- One of five children with DS sing in a choir or vocal group, for children older than ten, it is every one in three...
- Two out of every three children with DS like to draw and/or paint pictures
- Approximately 9 out of every 10 individuals with DS listened to someone read a book more than three times a week between the ages 2-5
- Approximately 7 out of 10 children w/ DS use total communication (signs, etc) between the ages of 2-5
- Approximately 7 out of 10 kids with DS saw a speech therapist two or more times a week between the ages of 2 and 5
- Approximately 1 of every 3 children with DS older than ten rides a bike without training wheels
- Seven of every ten individuals with DS older than ten participates on an athletic team through Special Olympics
- Two out of every five individuals with DS participates on an integrated athletic team.
- According to their families, 3 out of 5 individuals with DS know how to operate a computer.
- One of every three individuals with DS older than ten with DS reads the daily newspaper on his or her own
- Seven of ten individuals with DS older than 10 read books on their own for personal enjoyment
- One of two children with DS go to school in a mainstreamed class.
- 3 of 5 children with DS participate in school activities that are open to all students.
- According to their families, 1 of 5 children with DS talk on the phone with friends more than three times a week. For children older than ten, that number doubles.
- One of three children with DS write email regularly
- Two of three children with DS over age ten have a boyfriend or girlfriend!
- Approximately 7 of ten children with DS pray on a regular basis.
- According to their families, approximately 7 of 10 individuals with DS imitate characters from a television program or movie
- Approximately 2 of 3 individuals with DS older than 10 prepare their own breakfast each morning.
- Three of four individuals with DS older than 10 make their own bed in the morning.
- One of two individuals with DS (older than 18) work in a non sheltered workplace
- One of five individuals with DS (18 or older) lives on his or her own.
Chris and I choose, with all of our children, to focus more on what they CAN do, not what they cannot. I cannot wait for Katie to be able to do these things!